The largest judging of Pacific Northwest wine, staged at one of the West Coast’s oldest hotels in Hood River, Oregon, has a new name: the Cascadia Wine Competition.
Great Northwest Wine will assemble more than 20 wine professionals from Washington, Oregon, Idaho and British Columbia at the Columbia Gorge Hotel to seek out and put the spotlight on the region’s top bottlings.
For its first three years, the Cascadia Wine Competition was called the Great Northwest Wine Competition. This year, the name was changed to differentiate it from the Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition, the judging organized in October by Eric Degerman and Andy Perdue. The event also is held at the hotel built in 1921 by timber magnate Simon Benson.
This winter’s Cascadia Wine Competition will be staged March 15-17. The judging will be expanded by a day in anticipation of surpassing last year’s record-setting 1,204 entries, which represented more than 250 Pacific Northwest wineries.
Learn more at:
- Eric Degerman — email@example.com, 509-727-4317
- Andy Perdue — firstname.lastname@example.org, 509-727-4316
- Ken Robertson — columnist, Wine Press Northwest magazine, Kennewick, Wash.
- Kristine Bono, tasting room manager, Goose Ridge Estate Winery, Richland, Wash.
- Amberleigh Brownson, co-owner/sommelier, Eat Restaurant, Bellingham, Wash.
- Daniel Carr, co-owner/executive chef, Visconti’s Restaurants/Cured by Visconti’s, Wenatchee, Wash.
- Big John Caudill, sales manager, Cuvee Northwest, Yakima, Wash.
- Mary Cressler, sommelier/journalist, Vindulge.com, Portland, Ore.
- Jay Drysdale, winemaker, Bella Wines, Naramata, British Columbia.
- Ilene Dudunake, owner, A New Vintage Wine Shop, Meridian, Idaho
- Don Elsing, tasting room manager, Fielding Hills Winery, East Wenatchee, Wash.
- Shelly Fitzgerald, sommelier/wine educator, Columbia Winery, Woodinville, Wash.
- Ellen Landis, sommelier/journalist, Vancouver, Wash.
- Richard Larsen, research winemaker, Washington State University, Richland, Wash.
- Chris Nishiwaki, journalist, Mercer Island, Wash.
- Leslie Preston, co-owner/winemaker, Coiled Wines, Garden City, Idaho
- April Reddout, wine program manager, Walter Clore Wine and Culinary Center, Prosser, Wash.
- Stephen Reustle, winemaker, Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards, Roseburg, Ore.
- Yashar Shayan, proprietor, ImpulseWine.com, Seattle
- Pat Spangler, owner/winemaker, Spangler Vineyards, Roseburg, Ore.
- Coco Umiker, winemaker, Clearwater Canyon Cellars, Lewiston, Idaho
- Gordy Venneri, co-owner/co-founding winemaker, Walla Walla Vintners, Walla Walla, Wash.
- Jean Yates, president, Oregon Wine Marketing, Monroe, Ore.