Welcome to Cascadia Culture Week: May 13th - May 21st
“We celebrate Cascadia Culture Week to remind ourselves of our distinct regional values, our unique cultural traditions and beliefs, and our devotion to creating a sustainable and equitable community in which leadership is in the hands of the people and a strong community is our greatest asset.”
What is Cascadia Culture Week, you ask?
No matter which team you root for, what language you speak at home, we are all Cascadian. A strong Cascadian community can be a true catalyst for local, equitable change. We celebrate Cascadia Culture Week to remind ourselves of distinct regional values, unique traditions, inherent beliefs, and our devotion to creating a sustainable and equitable community in which leadership is in the hands of the people and a strong community is our greatest asset.
So please, celebrate being Cascadian with us this week. We are happy to share this bioregion with you, are honored by all the work you are doing to help CN! become a hub for creating positive community change at the grassroots level, which creates a healthier community for all Cascadians.
We have created a basic schedule of events that lays the groundwork for Cascadians to show their bioregional pride each day of the week. We are asking every Cascadian to think of ways they can celebrate, or host or share an already existing event in your community!
Awesome Ways to Celebrate Cascadia Culture Week!
- Fly your flag & wear your swag! Host a flag waving party, or help print out & put up posters, reach out to businesses and share in your neighborhood.
- Share Cascadia. Share your favorite Cascadian photographs, images, posters on social media, raise awawreness and educate friends, and make sure to tag @Cascadianow! #CascadiaNow #CascadiaCW during the week. If you're a facebooker, feel free to use this great Cascadia flag overlay for your profile to help raise awareness.
- Shop & eat locally. Use the week as an opportunity to share your favorite local businesses, restaurants, organizations, and businesses to friends and family. Do your shopping at a farmers market, cook meals using local ingredients, and have a great week knowing you are supporting your friends, family, neighborhood, and community, all in way which helps shift our actions to a bioregional model.
- Volunteer. Hook in with an amazing cause or organization you feel represents Cascadian values in your neighborhood or city.
- Get political. Write or call your representatives to see how they feel on Cascadia. Do a bit of research, write a card, give them a call and let them know whether you think they are doing a good job, or bad job - and how they stand about issues you care about.
- Get outdoors. Go for a hike, pull some invasive species, plant native plants, and celebrate this amazing bioregion. Go on a Cascadia photoshoot to capture the essence of what Cascadia means to you.
- Create an art project. Cascadia is a #DIY movement! Create or host a Cascadia art party that helps represent the things that are special.
- Learn about Bioregionalism or Cascadia by checking out some of the awesome books and articles on our reading list here! Or take the next step and host a reading group or book club!
Make sure to share by tagging @cascadianow on FB, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr or elsewhere. #Cascadia #CascadiaNow #CascadiaCW. Also feel free to share pictures, ideas, and events to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Know of a cool event, or want to share one? Share on social media and tag @cascadianow #cascadia #Cascadianow and we'll share it out!
Host an event!
One of the best things to do is to host a community event! We've put together a suggested calendar, and over the course of the week we'll be adding your events to raise awareness of Cascadia, build community, and shift our habits, and celebrate our unique Cascadian culture. Host a potluck, salon, discussion, art party, political card writing with friends, put up posters, reach out to businesses, organize a music night, a movie night, or a reading book, go on a hike with friends, get active with a cause or organization you love, throw a fundraiser for a cause, then email us or fill out the form to hook it in so we can share it out!
And lastly, make sure to join us at our Cascadia Convergence this year, happening June 9-12 in SW Washington.
How would you like to get active?
Below are just some awesome ideas for ways to get active. While these are suggested, if you have your own ideas, or some of these days don't work, please feel free to fill out the form and suggest your own!